Our Black Edition A4988 stepper motor driver carrier is a higher-performance drop-in replacement for the original A4988 stepper motor driver carrier. It features a four-layer PCB for better thermal performance, allowing the A4988 microstepping bipolar stepper motor driver to deliver approximately 20% more current than our two-layer (green) version. Like our original carrier, the Black Edition offers adjustable current limiting, over-current and over-temperature protection, and five different microstep resolutions. It operates from 8 V to 35 V and can deliver up to 2 A per coil with sufficient additional cooling. This board ships with 0.1″ male header pins included but not soldered in.
This product is a carrier board or breakout board for Allegro’s A4988 DMOS Microstepping Driver with Translator and Overcurrent Protection; we therefore recommend careful reading of the A4988 datasheet (380k pdf) before using this product. This stepper motor driver lets you control one bipolar stepper motor at up to 2 A output current per coil (see the Power Dissipation Considerations section below for more information). Here are some of the driver’s key features:
- Simple step and direction control interface
- Five different step resolutions: full-step, half-step, quarter-step, eighth-step, and sixteenth-step
- Adjustable current control lets you set the maximum current output with a potentiometer, which lets you use voltages above your stepper motor’s rated voltage to achieve higher step rates
- Intelligent chopping control that automatically selects the correct current decay mode (fast decay or slow decay)
- Over-temperature thermal shutdown, under-voltage lockout, and crossover-current protection
- Short-to-ground and shorted-load protection
- 4-layer, 2 oz copper PCB for improved heat dissipation
- Exposed solderable ground pad below the driver IC on the bottom of the PCB
This product ships with all surface-mount components—including the A4988 driver IC—installed as shown in the product picture.
The Black Edition has the same component layout and pinout as our A4988 stepper motor driver carrier, so it can be used as a higher-performance drop-in replacement in applications designed for our original drivers. The Black Edition achieves its higher performance through its four-layer printed circuit board (PCB), which better draws heat out of the A4988 driver—while our original carrier can deliver up to approximately 1 A per phase in full-step mode without a heat sink or air flow, the Black Edition can deliver up to approximately 1.2 A under the same conditions.
For an even higher-performance alternative, please consider our DRV8825 stepper motor driver carrier, which can deliver more current over a wider voltage range. For lower-voltage applications, consider our DRV8834 carrier, which works with motor supply voltages as low as 2.5 V. Either of these boards can be used as a drop-in replacement for the Black Edition in many applications.
Some unipolar stepper motors (e.g. those with six or eight leads) can be controlled by this driver as bipolar stepper motors. For more information, please see the frequently asked questions. Unipolar motors with five leads be used with this driver.
The A4988 stepper motor driver carrier comes with one 1×16-pin breakaway 0.1" male header. The headers can be soldered in for use withsolderless breadboards or 0.1" female connectors. You can also solder your motor leads and other connections directly to the board.
|Size:||0.6″ × 0.8″|
|Minimum operating voltage:||8 V|
|Maximum operating voltage:||35 V|
|Continuous current per phase:||1.2 A2|
|Maximum current per phase:||2 A3|
|Minimum logic voltage:||3 V|
|Maximum logic voltage:||5.5 V|
|Microstep resolutions:||full, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, and 1/16|
|Reverse voltage protection?:||N|
|Header pins soldered:||N4|
- 1 Without included optional headers.
- 2 Without a heat sink or forced air flow.
- 3 With sufficient additional cooling.
- 4 Male header pins are included for the board's 16 holes, but they are not installed.
|Part. No. :||2128|
Questions on 2128 - A4988 Stepper Motor Driver Carrier, Black Edition
No questions asked yetRegister or Login to ask a question.