This breakout board for the MPS MP6500 microstepping bipolar stepper motor driver is Pololu’s latest stepper motor driver. The module has a pinout and interface that are very similar to that of our popular A4988 carriers, so it can be used as a drop-in replacement for those boards in many applications. The MP6500 offers up to 1/8-step microstepping, operates from 4.5 V to 35 V, and can deliver up to approximately 1.8 A per phase continuously without a heat sink or forced air flow. This version of the board allows for dynamic current limit control through a pair of digital inputs, and the board ships with 0.1″ male header pins included but not soldered in.
This product is a carrier board or breakout board for the MP6500 stepper motor driver from Monolithic Power Systems (MPS); we therefore recommend careful reading of the MP6500 datasheet(1MB pdf) before using this product. This stepper motor driver lets you control one bipolar stepper motor at up to approximately 1.8 A per phase continuously without a heat sink or forced air flow (see the Power dissipation considerationssection below for more information). Here are some of the driver’s key features:
- Simple step and direction control interface
- Four different step resolutions: full-step, half-step, 1/4-step, and 1/8-step
- Adjustable current control lets you set the maximum current output, which lets you use voltages above your stepper motor’s rated voltage to achieve higher step rates
- Two current limit control options available:
- Potentiometer Current Control — this carrier version uses an on-board trimmer potentiometer to set the current limit up to 2.5 A
- Digital Current Control — this carrier version allows a microcontroller to dynamically adjust the current limit up to around 2 A
- Internal current sensing allows the driver to automatically adjust the decay mode as necessary to provide the smoothest current waveform
- 4.5 V to 35 V supply voltage range
- Can deliver 1.8 A per phase continuously without additional cooling
- Built-in regulator (no external logic voltage supply needed)
- Can interface directly with 3.3 V and 5 V systems
- Over-temperature thermal shutdown, over-current shutdown, short circuit protection, and under-voltage lockout
- 4-layer, 2 oz copper PCB for improved heat dissipation
- Exposed solderable ground pad below the driver IC on the bottom of the PCB
- Module size, pinout, and interface match those of our A4988 stepper motor driver carriers in most respects
This product ships with all surface-mount components—including the MP6500 driver IC—installed as shown in the product picture.
|Size:||0.6″ × 0.8″|
|Minimum operating voltage:||4.5 V|
|Maximum operating voltage:||35 V|
|Continuous current per phase:||1.8 A2|
|Maximum current per phase:||2 A3|
|Minimum logic voltage:||2.1 V4|
|Maximum logic voltage:||6 V5|
|Microstep resolutions:||full, 1/2, 1/4, and 1/8|
|Current limit control:||digital|
|Reverse voltage protection?:||N|
|Header pins soldered:||N|
|PCB dev codes:||md33a, md33b|
|Other PCB markings:||0J10855, 0J11019|
- 1 Without included optional headers.
- 2 Without a heat sink or forced air flow.
- 3 With sufficient additional cooling. This limitation comes from maximum achievable current limit setting on this version of the board.
- 4 This is the input logic high threshold.
- 5 Absolute maximum voltage on any input is 6.5 V.
|Part. No. :||2968|
Questions on 2968 - MP6500 Stepper Motor Driver Carrier, Digital Current Control
No questions asked yetRegister or Login to ask a question.
Excl. Tax:€6.44Incl. Tax:€7.86
Excl. Tax:€21.14Incl. Tax:€25.79
Excl. Tax:€23.06Incl. Tax:€28.13
Excl. Tax:€39.68Incl. Tax:€48.41