The DRV8824 stepper motor driver carrier is a breakout board for TI’s DRV8824 microstepping bipolar stepper motor driver, a lower-current version of the DRV8825. The DRV8824 carrier can only deliver up to 0.75 A per coil without a heat sink (it is rated for up to 1.2 A per coil with sufficient additional cooling), but it has larger current-sense resistors that allow for improved microstepping performance at low currents. This carrier has the same pinout, interface, and features as ourDRV8825 carrier, which means it can serve as a direct substitute for the DRV8825 carrier when using lower-current stepper motors.
This product is a carrier board or breakout board for TI’s DRV8824 stepper motor driver; we therefore recommend careful reading of the DRV8824 datasheet (1MB pdf) before using this product. This stepper motor driver lets you control one bipolar stepper motor at up to 1.2 A output current per coil (see the Power Dissipation Considerations section below for more information). Here are some of the driver’s key features:
- Simple step and direction control interface
- Six different step resolutions: full-step, half-step, 1/4-step, 1/8-step, 1/16-step, and 1/32-step
- Adjustable current control lets you set the maximum current output with a potentiometer, which lets you use voltages above your stepper motor’s rated voltage to achieve higher step rates
- Intelligent chopping control that automatically selects the correct current decay mode (fast decay or slow decay)
- 45 V maximum supply voltage
- Built-in regulator (no external logic voltage supply needed)
- Can interface directly with 3.3 V and 5 V systems
- Over-temperature thermal shutdown, over-current shutdown, and under-voltage lockout
- Short-to-ground and shorted-load protection
- 4-layer, 2 oz copper PCB for improved heat dissipation
- Exposed solderable ground pad below the driver IC on the bottom of the PCB
- Module size, pinout, and interface match those of our A4988 stepper motor driver carriers in most respects (see the bottom of this page for more information)
We also carry a DRV8825 stepper motor driver carrier that can serve as a direct, higher-power substitute for the DRV8824 carrier. The DRV8825 can deliver up to 1.5 A per coil without a heat sink (2.2 A max with sufficient additional cooling). The only way to tell our DRV8824 carrier apart from the DRV8825 carrier is by the markings on the driver IC; if you have a mix of the two, you might consider marking them (there is a blank square on the bottom silkscreen you can use for this).
This product ships with all surface-mount components—including the DRV8824 driver IC—installed as shown in the product picture.
Unipolar motors with five leads be used with this driver.
The DRV8824 stepper motor driver carrier ships with one 1×16-pin breakaway 0.1" male header. The headers can be soldered in for use with solderless breadboards or 0.1" female connectors. You can also solder your motor leads and other connections directly to the board.
|Size:||0.6″ × 0.8″|
|Minimum operating voltage:||8.2 V|
|Maximum operating voltage:||45 V|
|Continuous current per phase:||0.75 A2|
|Maximum current per phase:||1.2 A3|
|Minimum logic voltage:||2.5 V4|
|Maximum logic voltage:||5.25 V4|
|Microstep resolutions:||full, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, and 1/32|
|Reverse voltage protection?:||N|
- 1 Without included optional headers.
- 2 Without a heat sink or forced air flow.
- 3 With sufficient additional cooling.
- 4 This driver does works with 2.5 to 5.25 V logic. It does not take an external logic power supply.
|Part. No. :||2131|
Questions on DRV8824 Stepper Motor Driver Carrier, Low Current
No questions asked yetRegister or Login to ask a question.
Excl. Tax:€6.75Incl. Tax:€8.24
Excl. Tax:€6.18Incl. Tax:€7.54
Excl. Tax:€22.70Incl. Tax:€27.69