The new PICAXE-18M2 microcontroller builds on the pedigree of the ever
popular 18 pin PICAXE microcontrollers by adding these new and improved
features at no extra cost:
• Almost every pin is individually configurable, so, for instance, the 18M2
can now have 13 outputs instead of 8 – the choice is yours! Therefore M2
chips can be used in either the ‘traditional’ fixed pin format or the new
flexible ‘user configured’ format.
• Many extra ADC channels are now also available on other pins, with new
support for touch sensor inputs.
• The reset and serial input pins can now be used as 2 extra input pins,
giving 2 more general purpose input pins for your project. New software
‘reset’ command if required.
The 18M2 can now run four separate tasks in parallel, allowing a Logicator
flowsheet to contain 4 separate start cells and 4 separate flowchart tasks. Multi
tasking is also supported in BASIC program listings.
• The 18M2 device replaces all of the older 18/18A/18M/18X parts and so gives 18X
equivalent memory capacity (2048 bytes, up to 1800 lines of program) at the same
price as the older 256 byte 18A/18M – so that is 8x the memory capacity of the
older parts for no extra cost!
• Fully backwards compatible with all existing 18 pin PICAXE project boards and
programs written for any older 18 pin PICAXE part.
• New lower 1.8V operation now makes the 18M2 ideal for use with 3V battery packs - save the cost of one battery!
• Twice as many (now 28) general purpose byte variables, with
up to a total of 256 bytes of RAM.
• New ‘time’ variable counts elapsed seconds.
• 256 bytes of non-volatile data EEPROM memory.
• Faster internal resonator (up to 32MHz) means up to 8x faster
• Full support for common features such as ring tone tunes,
servos, digital temperature sensors and infra-red input and
output on any pin.
• Full support for advanced features like DAC, SR latch,
hardware serial commands (for much faster baud rates), i2c
memory devices and PWM control of motors.
• The PICAXE-18M2 is a new custom part factory manufactured
by Microchip Inc. for Revolution Education and so is factory
engraved with the full PICAXE-18M2 name – no more
confusing PIC numbers for students to decipher!